Ask us logo Ask us at the University of Salford

Money Matters - International Students

bollywood fun party

The University has a range of scholarships for international students, use the international scholarship finder to see what you are eligible for. If you are from the EU you may be eligible for a tution fee loan from the government. If you are from North America or Canada you may be eligible for support from your home country.

Please use the tabs below to access further useful information that may apply to you as an international student:

British banks have introduced strict regulations about opening accounts. Security procedures have been implemented that can lead to delays for students who try to open an account on arrival in the UK.


While it is unlikely that you will be able to set up a bank account until after you arrive in the UK, it is a good idea to start to plan ahead.

Your bank in your home country may have a special relationship with a bank in the UK, so it is a good idea to check with your home bank before you depart for the UK. 

If you are an international student and plan to use a credit card or bank card from your home country in the UK, check with your bank before you leave to see if your card is compatible with UK bank machines, or if there will be any additional charges.

It may be necessary for you to bring some UK currency with you to get you by until you set up your account.  If you plan to transfer money from your home bank account to your UK account, remember that transferring funds will depend upon your home bank's procedures.  This can take more time than you expect. You should discuss this with your bank before leaving home, and remember to bring sufficient funds, such as cash, travellers' cheques or credit cards, to cover any delays. But always avoid travelling with very large amounts of cash.

Some issues you should consider before opening an account include:

  • The length of time it takes to open an account and receive your bank card. If you can start or even complete, the process before you arrive in the UK this will save time.  In some instances it can take more than two weeks to open an account.  Remember to bring sufficient funds to cover any delays.
  • You may need to book an appointment in advance to open a bank account at your chosen branch.  Please note that this may also be time consuming as many students will also be setting up accounts at the same time.  Be sure that your appointment falls after you have enrolled, so that you have all of the necessary documents to open the account.  If you cannot attend the appointment or do not have the necessary paperwork, be sure to contact the bank to rearrange the meeting.
  • Asking your bank for a posted monthly statement is helpful if you need to make an application to extend your student visa.
  • Some international student accounts may charge an initial or monthly fee. The additional services provided with these accounts will vary between each bank. Some banks will also offer a free, but more basic, account.
  • If you are expecting to receive money from overseas, you should ask what charges may apply and how long it will take to make the money available in your account.

You may find the following downloadable guides useful to help you through this process:

Many international students take a part time job whilst at university. Visa limitations mean you won’t earn enough to pay your fees, but a part time job can help with your living costs. The Careers Service  will tell you how many hours you can work, and can help you apply for a National Insurance Number. Keep an eye on their website for part time work that is suitable for students.


The United Kingdon Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) has a website devoted to information for international students including working in the UK.

It would be advisable to have a budget plan before you arrive in the UK. Many International students already use an online calculator which allows you to see your cash flow for the academic year. For more information, please visit the International Student Calculator.


Take a look at our living costs section to get a better idea of how much you can expect to need whilst living in the UK.


The purpose of the Crisis Fund is to help international students who are experiencing a crisis that has arisen as a result of a significant and unexpected event that could not have been predicted in their financial planning.


All international students (including European) undergraduate and postgraduate students who are registered on a course at Salford University are eligible to apply.

Applications can be made throughout the academic year from 28 September 2015 until the closing date of 1st July 2016.

We aim to give you a decision in writing within four working weeks of receiving your application.

In applying to the Crisis Fund you have to be able to show that:

  • you began your current academic year with sufficient funds to support yourself and pay the tuition fees.
  • you or your sponsor have suffered a crisis which could not have been predicted and which is causing you severe financial hardship.
  • the ‘crisis’ took place after you registered for your current academic year and paid any deposit required.
  • you have a package of funding in place to which the Crisis Fund may make a contribution. 

If you are applying to the fund for help with tuition fees then at least 70% of your total tuition fee must have already been paid (this 70% can be made up of your sponsor’s payments, your own payments, and any Scholarship you  have been awarded for fees).  We will not be able to accept Crisis Fund applications for fee support from students who still have more than 30% of fees outstanding.

To enquire about the International Crisis Fund please contact us at .

or alternatively contact the askUs desk to book an appointment with a finance advisor.


If you are from America you can access information on US Federal Loans from here

If you are struggling financially please book an appointment to see one of our askUS Finance Advisers in University House. To book an appointment please call 0161 295 0023 or visit an askUS desk.

If you are unable to pay your tuition fees then contact someone from the Income Treasury Management Team in University House as soon as possible, the sooner you do this the more options you may have.