Emergency Evacuation Procedure
Student emergency evacuation information
If You Need Assistance to Leave the Building
- If you need help evacuating the building in an emergency, please make your way to a refuge point.
- The refuge points are in the protected staircases in each building – identified by the refuge point signs
- The refuge point signs have a green background, with a white outline of a wheelchair and the text “Refuge Point” on them.
IF YOU DISCOVER A FIRE
- Sound the alarm using break glass alarm point
- Dial 0161 2953333 to call the fire brigade
- Make your way to the nearest refuge point
IF YOU HEAR THE FIRE ALARM
- Make your way to the nearest refuge
- Close the doors behind you
ONCE IN THE REFUGE
Use the Red Emergency Phone (if there is one at the refuge) or your mobile phone to:
Contact the Building Control Point during office hours to alert the Building Controller of your position:
Red Emergency Phones are located at:
Adelphi: 0161 295 2010
Allerton: 0161 295 5252
Maxwell: 0161 295 6954
Maxwell Security on 0161 295 3333
Please note: you will not be evacuated from the refuge unless there is a confirmed fire
DO NOT USE THE LIFTS TO EXIT THE BUILDING – unless it is the evacuation lift in Maxwell Building
IF YOU ARE BLIND
If you are blind or have partial sight, and would benefit from assistance leaving the building in an emergency, please follow the previous advice and make your way to a refuge point, where you will be assisted to leave the building.
IF YOU ARE DEAF
If you are deaf or have partial hearing, you may find a Deaf Alerter useful.
Deaf Alerters are small pagers, which can be worn in any University Building and will alert you that the fire alarm has activated by vibrating and emitting a high pitched noise. The display shows the building of alarm activation, so you know if it is the building you are in.
These can be obtained from Student Life.